These ribs are a savory-sweet and quick-cooking, fun dish. The traditional way to serve Kalbi is as a lettuce wrap. Serve a platter of crisp lettuce leaves, warm rice, grilled BBQ ribs, and Asian Dipping Sauce. Each diner takes a lettuce leaf and adds rice, a dollop of sauce, and the delicious grilled beef. Fold and eat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 5Servings
- 1 Asian pear or favorite pear, peeled and grated with a microplane (this sweetens the meat and helps make the meat very tender)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 6 large cloves garlic, grated on a microplane or minced
- ¼ cup mirin or sweet white wine
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (don’t skimp on this)
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 5 pounds Grow and Behold Korean short ribs
- Garnish: sesame seeds, sliced scallions
- Dipping sauce (optional)
1. In a large pan for marinating or a reusable plastic bag, combine grated pear, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, mirin, water, sesame oil, ginger, black pepper, scallions, and short ribs. Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight
2. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Grill short ribs 3 to 4 minutes per side.