No one will know that these quick-to-make, delicious pumpkin-chocolate muffins are 100% whole wheat. It can be our little secret.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 MuffinsServings
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice (soy, almond or cow's milk)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
3. In another large bowl stir together the sugar, molasses, oil and eggs. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla.
4. Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients half at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into prepared muffin tins and top with chocolate. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes.