This unique pumpkin bavarian creme can be a delicious dessert on its own or as an addition to pumpkin sponge cake.
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tablespoon nutmeg
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
1. Place the bourbon in a small bowl or cup and sprinkle with gelatin. Allow the gelatin to bloom.
2. Heat the sugar, coconut milk and pumpkin puree over medium heat.
3. Whisk the egg yolks and cornstarch together. Temper* the pumpkin mixture into the egg yolks and return to the heat. Stir continuously over medium heat until the mixture is very thick. Add the gelatin, vanilla and spices and cool completely.
4. In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, whip the whites until they are at medium peaks.
5. Cook the water and remaining sugar until a temperature of 250 degrees is reached.
6. Whip the whites until they are a stiff peak and turn down the mixer. Pour the hot sugar syrup into the whites. Turn the mixer to high and whip until the meringue has cooled.
7. Fold the meringue into the chilled pumpkin mixture.
Serve over Pumpkin Sponge Cake
*Temper the eggs by slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs by gently adding the hot liquid to the eggs. This will prevent them from scrambling! If you DUMP all the hot liquid in at once, you will have scrambled, curdled eggs