There is a rustic charm to this dish, not to mention a mouthwatering quality. Something as simple as potatoes browned crispy in duck fat just makes the eyes widen and the pulse quicken. YUM! I like to brighten the flavor of the dish with a sprinkle of sea salt, citrus zest and a generous dusting of freshly chopped parsley. The bright flavors heighten the savory duck fat and make the dish sparkle.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/3 cup poultry fat
- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1⁄4-inch thick coins
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Zest of 2 lemons and 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 ̊F.
2. Heat a large sauté pan lightly coated with duck fat over medium heat.
3. Add the potatoes to cover the bottom of the pan, but not stacked. Cook the potatoes in batches until they are golden brown and crispy on both sides. Sprinkle each batch with chopped rosemary and a bit of garlic.
4. Transfer the browned potatoes to a casserole. Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes and roast in the oven until the potatoes are cooked through but still hold their shape.
5. Sprinkle the potatoes with lemon and orange zest, sea salt and chopped parsley before serving.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Pesach 2013 SUBSCRIBE NOW