Poppy seed cakes are my husband’s favorite and I’ve been making this one since we got married. It’s become a family favorite, and is one I make often.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cake ServingsServings
- 1 cup ground poppy seeds
- Sweet wine or ½ cup milk, warm
- 5 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. brandy
- 1 Tbs. lemon zest (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F.
- Put the poppy seeds in a bowl and pour the warm milk or wine over. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, ¾ cup of the sugar, brandy, lemon zest (if using), salt and oil.
- Slowly stir in the soaked poppy seeds, flour, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg whites with the remaining ½ cup sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour into greased 26-cm baking pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing.
Tip: to make a richer cake slice it in the middle and make your favorite chocolate cream topping and spread in the middle and on top.