Pomegranate seeds add lively color, flavor, and crunch to this ginger-spiked salad.
- Prep Time
- 1 medium pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger or a generous ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads endive, separated into leaves, rinsed and dried
- 3 quarts baby lettuce or other torn lettuce leaves, rinsed and dried
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green part of green onion
1. Score pomegranate and release seeds (about ¾ cup); reserve.
2. To make dressing, mix lemon juice and next 6 ingredients; whisk in oil. Reserve.
3. On a large serving platter, arrange endive leaves like spokes with tips pointing out.
4. Toss papaya with 1 tablespoon dressing; reserve.
5. Toss lettuce with remaining dressing; mound over endive leaves. Top with reserved papaya. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, then with green onion.
Source: California Pomegranates