I usually make polenta from cornmeal, but for this recipe a tube is easy and works a little better. The cheese is optional but tastes really good, but you could make it without the cheese and use real sausage if desired.
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 onoin, chopped
- 1 pound veggie sausage (the one that comes in a tube)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 1 cup frozen artichoke hearts or bottoms
- salt and pepper
- 1 tube (1 lb) Prepared polenta
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking up veggie sausage with a wooden spoon, until browned, 8 minutes. Add garlic and sage and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Remove to a plate.
- Bring skillet back up to high heat other 1 teaspoon of oil and when hot toss in frozen artichokes. Saute until golden brown. Add to sausage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, layer polenta rounds and spoonfuls of sausage mixture. Pour wine over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until bubbling and polenta is pale golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with more sage if desired and serve.
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart.