For a healthy dessert following your break-the-fast meal after Yom Kippur, try these sweet poached pears, baked to perfection with cinnamon, and then bathed in a creamy sauce.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons cold butter or pareve margarine, plus more for greasing
- 6 Bosc pears
- Juice from 1 1/2 lemons
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease an 8- x 8-inch square ovenproof baking dish with butter.
2. Peel pears carefully, making long full strokes with a vegetable peeler so that the pears hold their shape. Halve the pears and use a melon baller to core them. Rub lemon juice all over the pears so that they do not oxidize.
3. Fit pears snugly in prepared baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, using your fingers, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter or margarine until you have pea-sized crumbs. Sprinkle over pears and bake, covered with foil, for 30 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to a serving plate. Pour cream into the hot baking dish, stirring to get up all the browned bits. Pour sauce over pears and serve.