Jungle oats/Quaker oats is an excellent source of dietary fibre and helps to maintain energy levels for the day. These cereal bars can be made ahead and to taste and are perfect to send to school with your kids
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 8 oz (250g) butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup syrup (or honey)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups oats
- 2 cups rice crispies
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 degrees C)
1. In a large pot melt margarine, syrup and sugar over medium heat.
2. Add vanilla and stir well. Remove from heat.
3. Add oats, rice crispies, coconut, salt, flour and baking powder.
4. Mix well.
5. Place mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Spread the mixture evenly on the baking tray. I find the easiest way to do this is by dipping my hands in water and pressing the mixture until it is flat.
7. Bake at 350 F (180 deg. C) for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown.
8. Remove from oven and while still hot cut into squares. They will become harder and crispier while cooling on a rack.