Pack this rice salad up for any picnic or any time you are on the go.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c. long grain white rice
- 3 c. chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/2 c. California raisins
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 c. chopped scallions
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/2 c. chopped carrots
- 1/2 c. chopped green or red bell pepper
- Lettuce leaves to line plates (optional)
- 1 brunch watercress (optional)
Place the lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk in the oil and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside
In a fine mesh strainer, rinse the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and chicken stock in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
Let the water boil for 2 to 3 minutes; then reduce the heat to low.
Cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the cooled rice with remaining salad ingredients.
Add the lemon dressing and mix well. Check and adjust the seasonings. Line a bowl or platter with lettuce leaves. Mound the rice salad on the lettuce and garnish with watercress sprigs.
Source: Chef Roy Harland and California Raisin Marketing Board