I think there are about a million versions of gazpacho, but what makes this version interesting and different is the use of something you already own and that is loaded with flavor and often overlooked. Pickle brine! All that highly seasoned brine sitting in your refrigerator with one lonely pickle swimming around in it can be put to good use.
Already seasoned and delicious, just give it a whirr with some ripe tomatoes and bread (that is what makes gazpacho creamy) and chill — you and the gazpacho!
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Prep Time
- 8 slices of challah or bread, crusts removed and torn into chunks (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup pickle brine
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 3 shallots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup tomato juice, if needed (some tomatoes are juicier than others)
- Garnish: drizzle of good evoo, fresh herbs
1. Place bread in food processor with pickle brine and evoo. Allow to soak for 5 minutes before adding tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and juice, if needed. Process to thick, creamy soup consistency.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.