The secret to a great bistro-style steak is in the salt. Sea salt will give you the best results, because it won’t melt into the meat, but will instead form a delicious crust. For an authentic French bistro dinner, serve with our Shoestring French Fries.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 (1½-inch thick) rib-eye steaks, excess fat cut off, at room temperature
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Heat a pan, preferably a cast iron skillet, over high for 5 minutes. Generously season steaks with sea salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle a small amount of evoo on steaks and place in the preheated pan. Brown steaks on the first side for 7 minutes. Turn steaks and transfer the pan to 350°F oven. Cook steaks in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes for medium rare. Transfer steaks to prepared baking pan. Lightly cover pan with foil, and let steaks rest for 10 minutes.
4. Return hot cast iron pan to a burner. Add shallots and mushrooms to the pan, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned. Add garlic and continue cooking 1 minute more.
Add wine and chicken broth; reduce by half. Sauce should coat a the back of a spoon.
5. Slice steaks and arrange on serving platter. Top with sautéed mushrooms and wine sauce. Serve immediately.