These peas are simple, sweet and perfect as a side dish for your favorite chicken, fish or beef. The mildly bitter escarole is tempered by the sweet peas and mint. This side can be made heartier with the addition of cooked pasta, sliced new potatoes or cannellini beans.
- 6 ServingsServings
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound Sugar Snap peas
- 1 medium head of escarole, separated into leaves and rough chopped
- 1 pound shelled English peas from 2 ½ pounds unshelled peas, blanched and shocked*
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Suggested garnishes: extra virgin olive oil, fresh mint, sea salt
- Heat a large sauté pan, with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic and sugar snap peas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots have softened and are very fragrant (about 3 minutes). Add the escarole and continue cooking until the escarole has softened (about 3-5 minutes). Add the English peas and continue cooking until the peas are hot (about 3 minutes). Add the mint and season with salt and pepper.