Two winter favorites come together in this pie. For a Purim take, I like using two different sized of triangle cookie cutters to cut out hamantaschen-like shapes from the top crust. Place triangles on top of pie, instead of a whole crust. Sprinkle crust with sugar and proceed with recipe directions.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 Pareve Pie Crust3 ripe pears, peeled, cored, and sliced2 cups frozen cranberries3 tablespoons corn starch or tapioca flour⅔ cup sugarZest and juice of 1 orangePinch of kosher salt1 egg, whisked3 tablespoons sugar
- Toss pears, cranberries, cornstarch, sugar, zest and juice and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out 1 crust, and fit it into a 9-inch pie pan. Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Once crust has chilled, poke holes in the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork. Pour in filling.
- Brush very outer edges of crust with egg and fit remaining crust on top. Crimp edges of both crusts together. Brush top and edges with remaining egg wash. Cut small vents/slits on top of the crust in the center for steam to escape. Sprinkle crust with sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 to 50 minutes, or until crust is medium brown and filling is bubbling up through vents. Remove from oven and cool before serving.