You don’t have to dreidel your kop or get into a spin looking for Chanukah recipes ‘cause here’s a latke recipe definitely worth frying!
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large onion (peeled)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Corn flour or Potato flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ pound pastrami, shredded
- Oil for frying
- Peel potatoes and immediately immerse them in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Grate the onion and place in a bowl large enough to the hold potatoes as well.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and grate them on the large hole side the grater. Strain the excess water off the grated potatoes, then add to onion and mix well.
- Lightly beat the egg with a fork and add to the grated vegetables.
- Add corn flour/potato flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Finally, add shredded pastrami and mix until well combined.
- Pour oil into a frying pan, to a 1/4 way up the sides of the pan and heat on the stove.
- Spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil, flatten them slightly to ensure even cooking and fry until golden brown.
Serve with a bowl of sweet-chili mayo, made by mixing 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.
Alternative: make up a mustard-mayo-pickle sauce by mixing 1/2 cup chopped pickled cucumber with ½ cup mayonnaise and 2 tsp ready-made Dijon mustard.