- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8 ServingsServings
- 1 pound Bow Ties, Wagon Wheels or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped or 1/2 tsp. dried jalapeño flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 28- oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 10- oz. package frozen black-eyed peas, prepared according to directions, or 1 16-oz. can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, or 1 tbsp. dried cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Cook pasta according to package directions; drain
2 In large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.
3 Saute the onion, jalapeño, garlic and pepper until softened, about three minutes.
4 Add tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes partially covered.
5 Stir occasionally. Add the black-eyed peas, vinegar and cilantro
6 Cover and simmmer an additional 10 minutes.
7 Season with salt and black pepper.
8 Toss gently with cooked pasta and serve immediately.
Source: National Pasta Association