- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 3/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf day-old crusty Italian or French bread
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 1/4 c. basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. Italian parsely leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
- 12 c. pitted kalamata olives 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 c. California raisins
2 Whisk the vinegar, oil and garlic together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4 Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the bread into 3/4-inch cubes.
5 Place on baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until the croutons are hard and dry.
6 Remove from oven and set aside. Meanwhile cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise with the core and gently squeeze the juice into the reserved dressing.
7 Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces and add them to a large mixing bowl.
8 Add the cucumber, onion, bell peppers, herbs and raisins.
9 Cover and set aside. (The salad may be prepared to this point up to 2 hours before serving.)
Source: Chef Roy Harland and California Raisin Marketing Board