Palak Paneer is an Indian Spinach and Cheese dish, you can make it with tofu if you can't find paneer, but it is much better with the real thing.
- 8 oz.about 1 cup paneer (cubed and lightly fried till brown in a tsp of ghee)
- 20 oz. frozen spinach, defrosted and blended in a food processor to make a paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillis slit length wise (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, or 1/2 teaspoon each grated garlic and ginger
- 1 tsp red chilli pwd
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
To make your own paneer all you need is Whole Milk, lemon juice and cheesecloth. Check out the recipe with gorgeous pictures here.
Place ghee in large heavy pan over medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and let them sputter. Add the onions and green chilis (if using) and saute until light brown.
Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 3 minutes more. Add red chili powder and ground coriander and mix well. Add the tomato puree and let it cook for 5 more minutes. Add the spinach and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Add the fried paneer cubes and stir. Cook covered on low for 3 minutes. Add water to achieve desired consistency and salt to taste, simmer another 10 minutes. Add garam masala and mix well.
Serve hot with Indian bread and Basmati rice.