Enjoy this vegan version of classic Spanish paella. With tofu and mushrooms it's lighter and healthier than the original version.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 500 grams (2 cups) whole Basmati rice
- 2 leeks, sliced into rounds
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ package hijiki, soaked in water
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced into small cubes
- 1 large tomato, peeled and diced
- 100 grams (3 ½ ounces) tofu
- 10 fresh Shiitake mushrooms
- 4 king oyster mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon course Atlantic sea salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger root
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 20 saffron threads, soaked in ¼ cup hot water
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Dice tofu and mushrooms, and marinate in soy sauce, ginger, and curry for 1 hour.
3. Soak rice in tap water for 30 minutes, drain and leave to dry in colander.
4. Roast saffron threads in the paella pot for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside in a small bowl.
5. Add leeks and garlic to pot and sauté in olive oil until lightly browned. Add rice, vegetables, spices, and saffron threads.
6. Mix and add broth or water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 7 minutes.
7. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Add tofu and mushrooms and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.