This comforting hot chocolate gets a double dose of cacao from good quality cocoa powder and grated chocolate, but what will really make it over the top is the milk you choose. Try the full fat coconut milk in a can for the best hot chocolate that just happens to be non dairy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces grated bittersweet chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (taste for sweetness as you add the sugar)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnishes: whipped cream, marshmallows, candy cane swizzle stick, cinnamon, grated chocolate, oreo crumbs
- Adult version: add a shot of rum, chocolate liqueur, schnapps, vanilla flavored vodka, Frangelico, Bourbon, or your favorite liqueur
1. Whisk cocoa powder, chocolate, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla, in a saucepan over low heat, together until incorporated and hot.
2. Divide hot chocolate between mugs and top with garnishes, or enjoy just as is.