Caramelized onions are good on almost anything and they should be a regular ingredient in your home. This oven method for caramelizing onions takes away all the time standing at the stove worrying if your onions are going to burn and the result is pure sweet delicious onions.
Make the whole recipe, the onions shrink a lot and save the extras to top all your sandwiches and other meals, they stay good for 2 weeks in the fridge or freeze them for 3 months.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cupsServings
- 5 pounds onions, any variety
- 1/4 cup neutral oil like grapeseed or canola
- 1 tablespoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Peel and slice onions in half. Then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
3. Place onions, oil and salt into a large heavy duty pot, a dutch oven is great. Toss everything well.
4. Cover the pot and place in the hot oven for 2 -3 hours stirring every 15 minutes.
You will know when they are done because they will be soft, sweet and delicious.