Kids love them, but the traditional way of deep frying them isn’t very kid-in-the-kitchen-friendly. That’s why we’ve developed this fool-proof baking method. Not only is it healthier, there’s no mess and danger that comes with deep frying. In fact, your kids can make this entire recipe themselves.
GLUTEN FREE VERSION: use gluten free flour and bread crumbs.
ZALMAN'S TIP: Placing the sticks in the freezer prevents the cheese from oozing out during baking. It took me two tries to figure that out. It also makes the sticks extra crunchy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
12 sticks mozzarella string cheese, plastic wrapping removed
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups flavored bread crumbs
Marinara sauce, for dipping
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. Prepare a dredge station: place eggs in one plate, flour in a second plate, and bread crumbs in a third plate.
3. Dip string cheese into flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs and place on parchment lined baking tray. Repeat until all cheese sticks are coated.
4. Place baking tray in freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F.
6. Remove tray from freezer and spray sticks with cooking spray.
7. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Flip cheese sticks over and bake for 5 minutes more.
8. Remove from baking tray and serve immediately with marinara sauce.