There is nothing like homemade rolls. Add pizzazz to your favorite challah recipe with onion and thyme to make these delicious, unforgettable rolls.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 rollsServings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ basic challah dough, about 2 ½-pounds
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add onions and saute, stirring often, until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in thyme and salt and set aside to cool. Reserve about ½ cup caramelized onions in a separate bowl for topping.
3. Preheat oven to 375° F.
4. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls. Roll out each ball into a 5-inch disc.
5. Evenly distribute onion filling in the middle of each disc.
6. Using your fingers, bring all edges up around filling and pinch tightly to seal.
7. Place in greased jumbo muffin tins, seam side down and repeat with remaining dough.
8. Let rise for about 15 minutes.
9. Brush tops with egg and top with reserved onions.
10. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Let cool 15 minutes in pan and then carefully transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm.