Everyone loves a one pot chicken and rice and it doesn’t get any better than this. Use the Israeli spice zaatar loaded with lemony savory flavor for the chicken and if you love it as much as me you can add more to the rice before serving.
You can also make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or drumsticks.
Optional vegetable addition, save time and a pot by adding cauliflower or broccoli to the pan when you remove the cover, drizzle with more evoo and it will roast up perfectly.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, divided
3-pound chicken, cut into eight pieces
¼ cup zaatar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 ½ cups uncooked basmati rice
3 cups chicken broth, hot
Garnish: toasted almonds and parsley
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place onion, garlic and 2 tablespoons evoo in the bottom of a large casserole. Cook for 15 minutes while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Meanwhile prepare chicken. Remove skin from the thighs. In a ziplock bag or bowl toss chicken with 2 tablespoons evoo, zaatar, ½ teaspoon salt and lemon juice. Mix until well coated.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Add rice and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and mix.
- Arrange chicken over rice then pour boiling hot broth around the chicken. Cover with foil and place in preheated oven for 50 minutes to an hour until chicken is mostly cooked through and broth is absorbed by rice. Remove foil, (this is when you can add vegetables) drizzle more evoo if desired and roast for another 20 minutes until chicken is browned and rice is tender.
- Serve as is or remove chicken to a plate and fluff up rice with a fork while mixing in toasted almonds and more zaatar to taste. Serve chicken with rice.