- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 3 cup milk or semi sweet chocolate chips (18 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream or non dairy substitute, at room temperature
- 2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 sticks butter or margarine (not spread), at room temperature (3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Make the Frosting:
- Melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Immediately whisk in sour cream. Scrape into a metal bowl. Refrigerate, stirring a few times, until thick enough to spread (may take up to 4 hours). Makes 31/4 cups.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer on low speed, combine all the cake ingredients and beat ingredients just until blended.
- Increase mixer speed to high and beat 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl a few times.
- Divide batter between prepared pans. Spread evenly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes until a pick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes. Turn out on rack, invert and cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting.
- Top with second cake layer. Frost sides and top with remaining frosting.
- The cake layers can be wrapped well and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 3 months.
- Make the frosting about 4 hours before you plan to ice the cake, so it has time to chill to spreading consistency.
(with frosting in another bowl)