- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 14 ServingsServings
- Corn oil for greasing loaf pan
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup All-Bran cereal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups plain or vanilla-flavored soy milk
- 1/2 cup almond oil or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds, roasted*, divided
1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 5- by 9-inch glass loaf pan with corn oil. Combine flour, 1 cup oat bran, bran cereal, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
2 In a large bowl, beat together eggs and sugar with an electric mixer.
3 Beat in soymilk, oil, vinegar and extract. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in 3/4 cup almonds.
4 Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining oat bran and almonds. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5 ool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
6 Slice and serve with almond butter, Benecol Ò , Take Control Ò , or soy-based “cream cheese.”
7 Wrap in plastic and store unrefrigerated up to 3 days, or freeze and store up to 2 months.
8 To roast slivered, chopped or sliced almonds : Spread in an ungreased baking pan.
9 Place in 350ºF oven and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant; stir once or twice to assure even browning.
10 Note that almonds will continue to roast slightly after removing from oven.
Almond Board of California