My Tuscan grandma would cook these beans inside an empty Chianti flask with a rounded belly, by burying the base of the bottle in the hot ashes of her fireplace overnight. While less romantic, a slow-cooker works just as well…. Just make sure to choose the best olive oil you can find!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 ServingsServings
- 2 1/2 cups dried cannellini beans
- 2 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 5 sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf, if liked
- 5 black peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Rinse the beans very well under running water in a colander.
2. Place them in the slow cooker insert with the sage and garlic and 1 or 2 tablespoons oil.
3. Add a little salt and the peppercorns, cover with the water, and cook for about 6 ½ to 8 hours in the crock pot on low heat, until they are tender.
4. Adjust the salt, add the rest of the oil, season with a little ground pepper, and serve over a slice of good artisanal bread.