- one 1 1/2 lb loaf ServingsServings
- 3 cup all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed
1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest 18 hours, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
2. Rotate the dough in the bowl, and recover it for another 6 hour rise.
3. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Spray liberally with cooking spray. Empty dough into pot, - it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.