- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 9 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon (2 tsp dried)
- 1 1/2 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 8 artichoke bottoms, drained canned or fresh cooked
- Lemon juice, as needed
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins, split
1 Melt butter in large saucepan and sauté shallots until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until they have released some liquid.
2 Add flour and blend thoroughly to make a roux. Add milk and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tarragon. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, to make a sauce.
3 Add cheese, stir to melt, and remove from heat. (Makes about 3 cups)
4 Warm the artichoke bottoms in broth or water mixed with a bit of lemon juice. Season with dash of salt.
5 Gently poach the eggs in acidulated water (add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice) until cooked to desired doneness.
6 Toast and butter the English muffins. Gently reheat the mushroom sauce, if necessary. Plate the muffin halves, each topped with an artichoke bottom, poached egg, and about 1/3 cup sauce. Garnish with sprig of tarragon.
Source: Photo and Recipe Courtesy of Mushroom Council and Mushroominfo.com