These sweet Moroccan cigars are a delicious treat made of ground almonds, infused with a delicate taste of rose water and dipped in honey.
If you can find Brick dough it is best, but egg roll wrappers which are more readily available work well too.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 20 cigarsServings
- 20 sheets of brick dough or phyllo
- 3 cups of ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon of melted butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of rose water
- 1 egg white
- Vegetable oil
1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground almonds, melted butter or margarine, sugar, cinnamon. Add the rose water gradually until the mixture becomes soft.
2. Lay flat a sheet of brick or egg roll wrapper.
3. Place a small amount of the mix on one side of the sheet. Brush the other sides with egg white. Fold the sides of the sheet over the ground almond mixture and roll very tight into a cigar; press firmly with the seam down. Heat up vegetable oil in a large pan. When the oil is hot, fry the cigars for about 5-6 minutes on each sides or until they become gold.
4. Remove the cigars from the pan and let them cool down.
5. Pour honey on a large plate and roll the cigars one by one until they are completely coated.
Enjoy with a warm cup of moroccan tea.