- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 5 or 6 slices whole wheat bread (8 ounces) (day-old or even stale is okay)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 1 stalk minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (possibly more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or broth (possibly more)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup minced California walnuts, lightly toasted
- Up to 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (optional)
1 Toast the bread until crisp, then cut it into a dice. Set aside.
2 Place a large, deep skillet over medium heat and wait about 5 to 8 minutes, until onion is translucent and celery is tender.
3 Add garlic, wild rice and cranberries and sauté for another 5 minutes or so. Stir in the bread and mix to combine.
4 Sprinkle in the lemon juice and pour in the broth, mixing them both using a large fork. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
5 If you are stuffing a bird, it is now ready. If you are not planning to bake inside a bird, check to see if it is moist enough for your taste. If not, you can add some more broth or water, and transfer it to a lightly greased (or nonstick-sprayed) baking dish, cover tightly with foil, and heat just before serving.
6 Serve hot, with walnuts mixed in right before serving, and topped with pomegranate seeds, if available.
Source: Walnut Board