Mock crab is one of my favorite ingredients to work with these days. Being able to take a non-kosher dish and make it kosher is thrilling to me!
Here is my take on the classic “crab” pot pie. The rustic element from the vegetables and elegance from the wine pair perfectly to create a delicious, one-pot meal that is sure to impress your guests!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 ServingsServings
- 1 stick butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for dusting
- 1¾ cups milk (or soy milk)
- ¼ cup sherry wine
- ½ package Dyna-Sea Imitation Crab Meat, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Place rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Sprinkle with flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add milk and sherry. Whisk as you bring the mixture to a boil. Continue until thickened and no lumps remain.
4. Add the “crab” and corn and let cool.
5. Unfold pastry sheets on lightly floured surface. Place 4 large ramekins rim side down on pastry sheets and trace 4 circles slightly larger than dishes. Brush each circle with egg wash.
6. Divide crab filling among ramekins and brush rims with the egg wash. Lay one puff pastry sheet over each ramekin and seal the edges. Cut steam vents with a knife and brush the tops with more egg wash.
7. Place bowls on a baking sheet and bake in the middle rack 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.