- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1-1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) :unsalted butter
- 1 cup :sugar
- 1/2 cup (packed) :brown sugar
- 1/3 cup :water
- 1 tablespoon :light molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon :salt
- 1/4 teaspoon :ground allspice
- 2 cups :coarsely chopped toasted mixed nuts (such as cashews, almonds, and pistachios)
- 1 cup :semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (not unsweetened)
- Butter small rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add the sugar, brown sugar, water, molasses, salt and allspice. Stir until sugars dissolve.
- Attach the thermometer to pan. Increase heat to medium; boil until thermometer registers 290, stirring slowly but constantly and scraping bottom of pan with wooden spatula, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Mix in 1 1/2 cups nuts. Immediately pour candy onto sheet. Spread toffee to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate atop toffee. Let stand 1 minute. Using back of spoon, spread chocolate over toffee.
- prinkle with 1/2 cup nuts. Chill 1 hour. Break toffee into pieces.
- Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Chill in airtight container.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving.