This stuffed eggplant will make all your Middle Eastern dreams come true! You can roast the eggplant ahead of time and cook the filling too, then this dish comes together in minutes before serving.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
½ pound ground beef or lamb
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400℉/200℃.
- Slice the eggplants in half, lengthwise. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive and and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake with the sliced ends facing upwards for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a pan. Add the meat and half the chopped onion. Cook until meat is browned. Break up the pieces. Add the cumin, salt and pepper. Stir. Remove the meat from the pan and place aside.
- In the same oil that the meat was cooked in, add the other half of the onion, the pepper and carrot. Cook for a few minutes on high heat. Don’t cook the veggies all the way through, so they're browned but still have a nice crunch.
- When the eggplant is finished cooking, carefully (because it’s hot) remove the seeds from the eggplant with a spoon, if they're bitter. Watch the video above to see how it’s done. Don’t remove too much yummy stuff, just the seeds. Then, drizzle tahini, place the meat and finally, the cooked veggies. Sprinkle chopped parsley for garnishing. Serve hot!