This simple rice is great to serve with dishes that have a luscious sauce, or to absorb the heat in some of the spicier dishes.
- 6 ServingsServings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canned diced jalapenos (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups water with 4 teaspoons (optional) chicken soup powder
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds (optional)
- 1/8 cup currants (optional)
Heat canola oil in a deep rice pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent. Add rice, garlic, cilantro, and (optional) jalapenos. Stir and sauté for another minute or so. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Open the lid and see if there is still water in the bottom of the pan. If so, cook 5 minutes or so until absorbed. Do not stir rice until it is done.
Garnish with toasted almonds and currants (optional).