You could call this one a community effort. I tried a version of this dish at my friend Tzipora's house. She uses chopped sautéed meat in place of the tortilla chips (kind of like the low-carb version). I got the dressing from my sister-in-law Debbie, and added a few touches of my own. Add meat to this Mexican Taco Salad for a heartier version!
- Prep Time
- 2 romaine hearts, shredded about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup packaged shredded carrots
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet yellow corn Niblets, drained
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared chunky salsa (such as Gold's)
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Place romaine, celery, carrots, black beans and corn in a large salad bowl.
- Mix mayonnaise and salsa in a small bowl and add to salad.
- Add chips and avocado, and toss lightly. Serve immediately so the chips don't get too soggy or the avocados mushy.
Try crushed hard tacos in place of or in addition to tortilla chips. For a heartier version, add chopped meat sautéed with Mexican spices.