I love to turn leftover rice into the fried kind, loaded with vegetables, but usually I make it Asian with mushrooms and sno peas, today I am trying it Mexican flavored with beans and peppers and well there is always room for mushrooms.
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup chopped peppers (any color including jalapeno if desired)
- 2 cup leftover rice (best when day old)
- 1 cup beans (I used 1/2 can kidney beans)
- 1 teaspoon each cumin and paprika
- 2 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion for 2 minutes in 1 tablespoon oil, add the mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes, add the peppers and cook another couple of minutes. Now add the second tablespoons of oil and add the beans and the rice, paprika and cuming and keep stirring until the rice is well coated and beginning to brown. Now add the salsa (chopped tomatoes would work too, but then you would need more other seasonings). Salt and pepper to taste, serve garnished with cilantro.