A wonderful addition to your Chanukah repertoire, but great all year long. Perfect to be made ahead and served hot or at room temperature. Tons of Mexican flavor run through the fish and the dipping sauce is the added bonus.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10-12 ServingsServings
- 1 20-ounce frozen gefilte fish roll, defrosted
- 4 sundried tomatoes that have been soaked for an hour in warm water, drained, squeezed dry, and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola oil for frying
Defrost fish roll and mash into a smooth consistency in a large bowl.
Add all ingredients to the gefilte fish mixture and mix thoroughly. Shape into patties 3 inches wide. (Thin patties cook faster and go farther, but you can make them any size you like.) Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add fish cakes and fry until brown on both sides.
Remove to a platter covered with paper towel to drain excess oil. Great hot or at room temperature.
Serve with a Cumin Garlic Dip or Chipotle Mayo (recipes in the Best of Mexican Kosher Cooking)