- 4 ServingsServings
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Steak and Salsa:
- 2 large yellow onions (1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 boneless beef chuck eye steaks, cut 3/4 to 1-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 to 2 cup mesquite wood chips, soaked in water 30 minutes*
- 4 large fresh mild green chiles, such as anaheim or poblano, stemmed, halved and seeded (12 ounces)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, halved and seeded (1 pound)
- olive oil
Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
Skin onions and trim off root end slightly; do not cut into root base. Turn onions upside down and quarter each onion, leaving some root base on each quarter. Brush onions, then steaks, with Oregano Rub.
When coals have reached medium temperature, sprinkle mesquite chips over coals. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 14 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Grill onions, chiles and bell peppers, lightly brushing with oil and turning occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until charred and tender.
Coarsely chop grilled vegetables (about 1-inch pieces). Serve steaks with grilled vegetables. Makes 4 servings.
*If desired, omit chips and use mesquite charcoal.
Provided by the National Onion Association