A sweet and sour chicken made with lots of fruit and some apricot jam. The flavors work wonderfully and are particularly warm and comforting.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs for a vegetarian option substitute chicken for tofu, tempeh or seitan
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil SAUCE
- 2 1/2 cup cups diced onions SAUCE
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed SAUCE
- 2 tablespoon Agave SAUCE
- 4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar SAUCE
- 15 pitted prunes, chopped SAUCE
- 1/2 cup raisins SAUCE
- 2 cup orange juice SAUCE
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp all fruit apricot jam SAUCE
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp hot water SAUCE
- 4 cup vegetable broth SAUCE
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon salt SAUCE
1. Combine all the spices in a small bowl
2. In a large bowl, coat chicken thighs with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and rice vinegar. Add spice mix and using your hands, rub it on the chicken until it’s all well coated.
3. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chicken and cook at medium-high heat, 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside
4. In a large soup pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add diced onions and crushed garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add agave nectar and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
5. Add prunes, raisins and orange juice.
6. In a small bowl, combine apricot jam and hot water and stir until the jam has dissolved. Add to the soup pot
7. Add vegetable broth, lemon juice and salt. Cook at medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
8. Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes
9. ENJOY! From May I have that recipe