A quick and nutritious meal and in a neat little package! Sweet potatoes are a stand-out vitamin-packed powerhouse and stuffed with spiced chicken and veggies, they become a multi-textured dinner, lunch, or with mini potatoes, a gorgeous appetizer.
To save time, bake sweet potatoes 1 to 2 days ahead and store them wrapped in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, sauté chicken and veggies, stuff potatoes, and warm in a 350°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
Always make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
Related: Stuffed Peppers
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers (jarred peppers work well), sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- ½ cup tahini
- Garnish: tahini, sliced scallions
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place sweet potatoes on prepared sheet and roast at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife can easily pierce the potatoes.
3. While potatoes are roasting, caramelize onion in a large sauté pan lightly coated with evoo over medium-high heat, about 7 to 10 minutes, until dark and very soft.
4. Add red pepper, garlic, and chicken and continue cooking until chicken is light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, broth, and chickpeas. Reduce heat to a simmer.
6. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out potato flesh, leaving about a quarter-inch of flesh to support filling without breaking.
7. Add scooped potato to chicken mixture and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
8. Add spinach and stir into hot chicken mixture. Divide filling between potato halves. Sprinkle olives on top and drizzle with tahini.
9. Before serving, reheat potatoes until filling is bubbly. Garnish with more tahini and sliced scallions.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.