Need a quick make-ahead and forget about it side dish? We have you covered. This side has plenty of flavor and after a quick sauté session, you can freeze the dish and cross one off your list.
Freezing instructions: Cool completely before freezing. Wrap tightly with foil and keep frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature before reheating, covered, at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 minutes more.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 Spanish onions, diced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 pound matzo farfel
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates or raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch casserole dish.
2. Sauté onions in a large sauté pan lightly coated with evoo, over medium-high heat, until medium brown and very soft.
3. Add mushrooms to the pan and a bit more evoo. Sauté mushrooms until browned and crispy on edges. Add celery and garlic to the pan and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes until celery begins to soften.
4. Transfer vegetables to greased pan. Add matzo farfel, broth, dates, and egg yolks. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more until lightly browned, or cool completely and freeze for up to 1 month.