Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? This recipe for Mashed Potato Stuffed Cabbage is a cross between a potato blintz and stuffed cabbage, and it's a fantastic crowd pleaser. Cabbage rolls freeze and reheat perfectly. They can and should be made in advance.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4-6 cabbage leaves, separated and parboiled for 5 minutes
Mashed Potato Filling:
- 1 very large potato
- 1 scallion, minced
- A few tablespoons of milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 tablespoon of butter (or oil)
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Boil potato in a pot of salted water until tender. Drain, peel, and mash with a potato masher.
3. Heat oil and add scallion. Cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
4. Combine the scallion with the potatoes, milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stuff the cabbage leaves with the potato filling.
6. Brush a baking tray or pan with butter or olive oil and arrange the rolls seam-side down in a single layer. Brush the top of the rolls with some melted butter or oil, and bake at 350°F until golden.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014