- 7 dozenServings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Cinnamon-sugar, for sprinkling (see Note)
1. Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium-size bowl, and set it aside.
2. Whisk the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in the flour mixture, followed by the chocolate chips. The dough will be very sticky. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Divide the dough into six portions. On a floured board, pat one piece of dough into a rectangle the length of the baking sheet and about half the width. Sprinkle it generously with cinnamon-sugar (a shaker is handy for this). Fold the dough in half lengthwise and pat it down to form a narrow log. Repeat with the remaining dough.
5. Place 3 logs on each of the prepared baking sheets. Bake both sheets at the same time, on the bottom third and top third oven racks, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through, until the tops are firm to the touch, about 25 minutes.
6. Remove the baking sheets from the oven, but leave the oven on. Let the logs cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets. Then, using a serrated knife, cut each log diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Place the slices, cut side down, on the baking sheets and sprinkle them generously with additional cinnamon-sugar. Bake for 7 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the cookies in the oven for at least 1 hour or until the oven is cool.
7. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets set on wire racks.