- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (1 - 16 oz. can) canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon low-sodium baking soda
- 1 cup (1 - 8 oz. can) low sodium tomato sauce (or unsalted)
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat cottage cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 - 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- u00be cup chopped toasted California walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
1 Bring about 6 quarts of water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt.
2 Add the macaroni and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until done.
3 While the macaroni is cooking, place the tomatoes and their juice into a large bowl.
4 Add the baking soda, and with a fork or your fingers, break the tomatoes into small chunks.
5 Stir in the tomato sauce.
6 Add the cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, spinach, peas, basil and pepper and toss to combine; set aside.
7 When the macaroni is done, drain well in a colander and rinse.
8 Add to the cheese mixture, toss to mix thoroughly, then pour into an oiled 2 ½ quart baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
9 Cover the baking dish with foil and bake the casserole for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
10 Stir in the walnuts and spring with parsley.
Source: California Walnut Board