- Prep Time
- 8 - 10 servings ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup :water
- 1 cup :granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup :light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon :salt
- 1 cup :salted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon :butter
- 1 teaspoon :vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon :baking soda
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the water, sugar, salt and corn syrup. Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to eliminate sugar crystals from forming.
- nsert a candy thermometer and continue to cook the sugar syrup, without stirring, until the thermometer reads 290.
- Add the chopped macadamia nuts to the saucepan and stir to incorporate the nuts into the syrup.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil and, stirring constantly; cook until the candy reaches 300.
- Once at 300 degrees, immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Once these ingredients are incorporated, pour the brittle onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it into a very thin layer.
- Pull it if you want (see explanation in intro). Once cool, break the brittle into small pieces.
- The brittle will get sticky if exposed to too much moisture, so it is best to store it in an airtight container at room temperature.