This lower fat pie crust is adapted from a cooking light recipe. I made it for a quiche and placed it up against a full fat recipe and this one was actually preferred!! I made it with coconut oil instead of butter and shortening.
- Prep Time
- 1 pie crust ServingsServings
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl; cut in coconut oil as best as you can with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. Pour hot water into center of well. Gently draw flour mixture into the water until moist clumps form. Press dough into a 4-inch circle. Cover, and chill 30 minutes.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Unwrap dough; place on plastic. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under; flute.