Make your Rosh Hashanah even sweeter with these delicious little honey cakes!
These are like traditional honey cakes in cookie form. Start with a saucepan to combine all the wet ingredients.
Let it cool while you take a break. Mix everything else together and set aside until tomorrow.
Scoop portions onto a pan.
Bake and cool.
Glaze and top as you like.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 50 cookiesServings
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon cloves (optional)
- ⅓ teaspoon ginger powder (optional)
- ¾ cup of powdered sugar
1. Place butter, honey, brown sugar, salt and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat, until combined.
2. Turn off heat and add ½ teaspoon baking soda and stir. The mixture will bubble and turn lighter color. Let it cool for an hour or so.
3. When the mixture is room temperature, transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add 2 eggs and whisk together.
4. Add cinnamon and flour and stir with a wooden spoon, or an electric mixer, until the mixture is thick.
5. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough cool in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
6. Now the dough is firm and you can bake. Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two baking sheets.
7. Roll the dough into small balls about 1-inch in diameter and place them on the baking sheets, leaving enough room (1 ½ inches) for the cookie to expand when baking.
8. Bake for 15 minutes until the cookies rise and become firm and golden brown.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
For toppings you can chose:
• Sprinkle icing sugar on cooled cookies.
• Combine the powder sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water and drizzle on cooled cookies.
• Before baking, roll the ball of cookies dough in powdered sugar and bake, the cookie will have a cracked exterior.
Yield: 50 cakes