- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 pound Linguine, Spaghetti or Thin Spaghetti, uncooked
- 5 slices white or wheat bread
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices
- 1 medium zucchini squash, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices
- 3 large red tomatoes, cut into 3/8-inch thick slices
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped, or 1 tsp. dry basil
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped, or 1 tsp. dry thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped, or 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Preheat oven to 250-o F.
2 Tear bread slices into small pieces, place on baking sheet and bake until dry, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, brush zucchini and yellow squash with a little vegetable oil and grill on both sides along with eggplant, onion and tomato slices. Do not over-grill; keep fairly firm.
3 Cool slightly and chop into 3/8-inch pieces. When bread is dry, crumble it with your hands or chop in food processor until crumbled.
4 In a small bowl, combine basil, thyme and oregano, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
5 . Toss crumbs in basil mixture to coat.
6 Heat oil in large saute pan. Add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and grilled vegetables.
7 . Heat thoroughly. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if desired.
8 Toss vegetables with cooked pasta. Divide into appropriate portion sizes.
9 Top with seasoned bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
Source: National Pasta Association