This basic muffin recipe can be adapted to any palette. Try all the variations and you're guaranteed to discover your favorite!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18 muffins.Servings
- Vegetable spray
- 2⁄3 cup dairy-free milk (soy, rice, oat, almond etc.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sucanat (evaporated cane juice okay too)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and grated coarsely
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups all purpose, whole wheat pastry or spelt flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F. Spray about 18 muffin molds with vegetable spray.
2. Combine the milk, eggs, oil, sucanat, and apples, and mix thoroughly but gently in a bowl, making sure not to extract more moisture from the apples. In another bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, raisins, and nuts.
3. Add the dry mixture to the milk mixture, combining gently but thoroughly with a spoon, taking care not to over mix, which toughens the batter.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now